Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What to do with jewelry?

If you're like me at all after college there wasn't a whole lot that I owned that needed insuring.  I had recently bought some pants, without holes, and shirts for work (though I worked in small-time radio and didn't really care how people saw me at 4am) and I had a TV and stereo.  There was really nothing that stood out to me as being a target for theft.

But then again, I wasn't living in the nicest of neighborhoods and in fact did have my door broken down one day while at work.

I bring this up because there is one class of property that you would be wise to insure.  Jewelry.

Whether it's a graduation gift from your parents or an heirloom from a grandparent, there are items; rings, bracelets, broaches, etc..., that cost a little bit more than the futon.  There is an insurance policy that will insure that jewelry separately from the rest of your stuff and it comes with an advantage...there is usually no deductible.

So even if your entire collection of earrings, rings and necklaces only amounts to $1,000 you can have it replaced without digging into your own pocket.  The cost is usually not a killer either, somewhere around $1.00 per $100 of value. So that $5,000 of jewelry will cost you about $50.

Guys, I've basically left you out of this conversation for obvious reasons, but when it comes time to buying your significant other that ring promising a life of togetherness, don't forget to insure it because I can almost guarantee you can't afford to replace it on your own.

If you have questions call me or email me.  My contact info can be found above under "Contact Us", which should really say "Contact Me" since I'm the only one listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment